Program to compress AVI files

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Jul 14 19:26:14 UTC 2008

Paul Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 7:54 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney at ercbroadband.org> wrote:
>>> Is there some program to compress AVI files?
>> Compress?  Video and graphics files tend not to compress well at all. Are we
>> talking ZIP compression?  Or encoding to a smaller file size?
>
> Thanks to both. I am talking about encoding to a smaller file size. Any ideas?
>
> Paul

I do this alot, really it all depends a lot of factors.  I generally
encode to AVI but edit the resolution to be smaller more than drop the
bitrate on the video.  What exactly are you wanting to accomplish?  Do
you want the video to retain the same aspect ratio?  The same screen
resolution?  Or what?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support