Program to compress AVI files

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Jul 14 19:30:08 UTC 2008

Paul Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 7:54 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney at ercbroadband.org> wrote:
>>> Is there some program to compress AVI files?
>> Compress?  Video and graphics files tend not to compress well at all. Are we
>> talking ZIP compression?  Or encoding to a smaller file size?
>
> Thanks to both. I am talking about encoding to a smaller file size. Any ideas?
>
> Paul

You are talking about transcoding.

You could start with transcode, ffmpeg or mencoder/mplayer that uses ffmpeg.

You can change the aspect ratio as well to save space.  It all depends
on how small you want the files and how much detail you are willing to
give up.

Also note that any conversion will lead to some loss of quality.

--
Robin Laing