Fedora 9: dbus problems with /home on nfs

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Mon Jul 14 20:44:18 UTC 2008

I think we kind of lost the OP's problem.

John Austin wrote, On 07/14/2008 03:39 PM:
> On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 08:06 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

OP summary:[
/var/log/messages shows
kernel: dbus-daemon[22141]: segfault at 1c ip
7fa454a5f2e0 sp 7fff5ca79fa8 error 6 in dbus-daemon[7fa454a31000+4c000]
after gdm login of users on NFS.
]

Do you [or the OP] use soft mounts?
I have seen enormous problems, no matter which OS/version is acting as the
server, if the clients are soft mounting home with nfs, and it is worse if the
home directories are being automounted.

hard,intr solved most of the problems we had, and I make a practice of having
the home directory NFS mounted at boot (which I know is not an option for many
admins).

the reason I went to mounting the home directory at boot instead of auto
mounting, is that when gnome can't find one of it's config files it tries to
create the default set and I would see some strange results** from that, but I
never tried to separate the soft/auto mount problem, so it might have been
solved by hard,intr.

Could the OP's problem be that some part of gnome/kde/gdm/kdm is attempting to
have dbus look at something in the users home dir which is an auto/soft
mounted dir and either not finding the file or getting an IO error causes
dbus-daemon to seg fault? [if the answer is yes, then we have narrowed down
the problem, and an appropriate bug needs to be put in the system about dbus
as being a daemon it should never die with segfault.]

** strange results = gnome/netscape tried to create directories and got files.

I can only agree with this comment if the client machines are soft mounting or
they are working in a network that is incredibly busy. soft mounts will cause
data loss in a busy network before hard mounts, but if you can ping flood -s
1400 the server and not get any loss, then hard,intr UDP NFS should be still
be _reasonably_ reliable (as NFS goes) and TCP NFS should be fine.

see the following thread entries
http://linux.kernel.org/pipermail/autofs/2004-April/001115.html
http://linux.kernel.org/pipermail/autofs/2004-April/001120.html
http://linux.kernel.org/pipermail/autofs/2004-April/001121.html