Fedora 9: dbus problems with /home on nfs

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Tue Jul 15 14:19:00 UTC 2008

David Jansen wrote, On 07/15/2008 04:32 AM:
> Thanks for all your input, see comments below
>
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 04:44:18PM -0400, Todd Denniston wrote:
>> I think we kind of lost the OP's problem.
>>
>> John Austin wrote, On 07/14/2008 03:39 PM:

>> OP summary:[
>> /var/log/messages shows
>> kernel: dbus-daemon[22141]: segfault at 1c ip
>> 7fa454a5f2e0 sp 7fff5ca79fa8 error 6 in dbus-daemon[7fa454a31000+4c000]
>> after gdm login of users on NFS.
>> ]
>
> Yes, that's a good summary of a bad situation :)
<SNIP>
> I'm starting to suspect the gvfs system, which tries to mount stuff
> under $HOME/.gvfs and I don't see this mount showing up for a user with
> $HOME on nfs, only for users with local homes. I could understand that
> it may not have sufficient permissions to mount something under a remote
> nfs mount, but I would expect an error message; the logs don't seem to
> indicate any messages about gvfs.
>
> As for all the other comments about nfs problems: probably true, but it
> doesn't explain why Fedora <= 8, RHEL, and Solaris all seem to be
> perfectly happy with the network and nfs setup. It's certainly a new
> problem in fedora 9, or a new feature in Fedora 9 (like gvfs?) triggers
> the problem.

I think I did hear about this gvfs (as a default setup) thing being new in F9
and it was causing folks problems when they tried to backup.

I don't know how, but I would try disabling/killing gvfs for a while and see
if that fixed it.

<grump>
Red Hat has explicitly indicated they will not be making _desktop_ distros for
a while, and Fedora seems to be (probably accidentally) making things hard*
for those folks who need a desktop distro in a networked environment.

*gvfs, gdm configuration ability getting more difficult ( a)need set a
particular message, b) need to have no users listed on the screen at login,
except the one that JUST put in the smart card) and a few other items that
break with NFS/NIS/LDAP in use that I am forgetting right now.
</grump>

--
Todd Denniston