that old GNU/Linux argument

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Tue Jul 15 15:54:00 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 23:25 -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> If you take *GNU* libc, rebuild it to target a different kernel while
> exporting the same ABI, and voila, you can drop Linux entirely from
> what you call a Linux Operating System, and pretty much all
> applications will still work just the same.  Because they're not
> applications for Linux.  They're applications for GNU libc.  They
> couldn't care less that they're running on top of the kernel Linux.
> For them, the kernel is irrelevant.

	This sounds like you're making the argument that all beer
should be called Water/Beer because water isn't specific to beer and
can be used with/in any other beverage.  Water couldn't care less that
it's mixing with hops or wheat.  For water, the other ingredients are
irrelevant.

	You seem to be making a good case that the GNU parts are
ubiquitous and therefor there's no reason to explicitly state their
inclusion.

> Next frequently raised fallacious objections?

	Well, this has been fun.  My need for mindless ranting...
Uh, I mean "debate" as been filled.  Back to what's loosely known
as productivity.

--
The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.