Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

jeff moe moe at blagblagblag.org
Tue Jul 15 18:42:21 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler <at> chello.at> writes:

> Alexandre Oliva <aoliva <at> redhat.com> writes:
> > If you find any such problems in BLAG 80000 (never formally released)
> > or BLAG 90000 (released easier today), please report them.
>
> Here's some I found at a quick glance:

Thank you for your research! We have over 10,000 packages in our BLAG 90000
repository (based on fedora 9), so things do get missed.

My approach is to generate a list of acceptable %{LICENSE} tags, in their
various forms (GPL, GPLv2, GPLv3, MIT, Public Domain, etc). That list has 383
valid license tags!

I then run a script which goes through the various repos and adds all the
packages with licenses that are acceptable to the Free Software Foundation.

If the packages you mention are included in BLAG and contain non-free software,
this is likely due to them being tagged with an incorrect license. Their
inclusion, if they are non-free, is considered a BUG and they will be removed. I
will go through the packages on your list to confirm your report. I do
appreciate it, as I actually hate licensing issues! I merely want Free Software!

I'll also note that there is *Free* firmware for some drivers, so just because
something is labelled firmware doesn't mean it's not free.

Thanks!

-Jeff