Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Tue Jul 15 19:44:33 UTC 2008

On Jul 15, 2008, DJ Delorie <dj at delorie.com> wrote:

> I object to the FSF asking for credit *only for them*.

Then you object to something they don't do.
And that's covered in the FAQ as well.
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#justgnu

> Asking for Linux distros to be called GNU/Linux makes it sound like
> the FSF created Linux

How so?

I read it as the GNU [operating system] on top of [the kernel] Linux,
which is a very precise description of the situation.

http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#whyslash

Anyhow, does GNU+Linux alleviate that perception?

> Firefox, Apache, Perl, Gnome, OO, and all those other big parts
> of common distros.  *That* I object to.

Why don't you object to calling those Linux, then?

It's not like Mozilla was created for GNU/Linux.  Or Apache.  Or Perl.
Or Gnome.  Or OOo.

Why do you think it's any more right to call them Linux than
GNU+Linux?

Please check any argument you use to reject naming the system after a
primary contributor, and note that it probably applies just as well to
naming it after any other contributor.

http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#gnudist