Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Björn Persson listor3.rombobeorn at tdcpost.se
Wed Jul 16 00:25:30 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
>    "In 2008, we found that GNU packages made up 15% of the “main”
>    repository of the gNewSense GNU/Linux distribution. Linux made
>    up 1.5%. So the same argument would apply even more strongly
>    to calling it “Linux”
>
> Why not name it something that gives the appropriate credit to the 83.5%
> that has nothing to do with GNU

Since it's a bit impractical to name a distribution by concatenating the names
of all the packages it contains, I suggest that the team that maintains a
distribution should come up with a name for the distribution. That way none
of the upstream projects would be credited any more or less than any others.
In this case the distribution could be named "gNewSense" for example. A
certain other distribution could be named "Fedora". Doesn't that sound like a
good idea?

Björn Persson