that old GNU/Linux argument

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Wed Jul 16 00:36:14 UTC 2008

On Jul 15, 2008, Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com> wrote:

> Linus referred to GNU in the first usenet post that he wrote to
> comp.os.minix announcing his intention to write what would become
> Linux.

And then in the 0.01 announcement, still under a non-Free Software
announcement

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/Historic/old-versions/RELNOTES-0.01

Select quotes (*emphasis* mine)

<quote>

		Notes for *linux* release 0.01

*linux*-0.01.tar.Z	- sources to the *kernel*

This is a free minix-like *kernel* [...]

Sadly, a kernel by itself gets you nowhere. To get a working system you
need a shell, compilers, a library etc. These are separate parts and may
be under a stricter (or even looser) copyright. Most of the tools used
with *linux* are *GNU* software and are under the GNU copyleft. These tools
aren't in the distribution - ask me (or GNU) for more info.

[...] Happy hacking.

</quote>

'nuff said?