Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Daniel R. Koehler darthbulk at warp-7.com
Wed Jul 16 01:16:09 UTC 2008

At 07:49 PM 7/15/2008, you wrote:
>Message: 1
>Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 00:57:06 +0100
>From: Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>
>Subject: Re: Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?
>To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>
>Gordon Messmer wrote:
>
> > Stallman's concern is for our Freedom to use the computers
> > that we purchase for our own ends and needs, rather than as dictated to
> > us by someone else.  Linus has repeatedly shown that he doesn't care
> > about that Freedom, and RMS would be a fool to step aside and let Linus
> > act as a steward for it.
>
>If you think Linux, or Linus, is unethical
>why do you run Linux? Or even GNU/Linux?
>There are lots of other OS's.
>

>------------------------------
>
>Message: 2
>Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:23:00 -0700
>From: Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com>
>Subject: Re: Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?
>To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
>Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > Gordon Messmer wrote:
> >
> >> Stallman's concern is for our Freedom to use the computers that we
> >> purchase for our own ends and ...
>...snip...
> >
> > If you think Linux, or Linus, is unethical why do you run Linux? Or
> > even GNU/Linux? There are lots of other OS's.
>
>Mostly because Linus isn't capable of screwing up the Freedom that's
>guarded by the GPL.
>
>That said, the problem with Linus isn't usually his antipathy for
>Freedom, just his apathy.  He'd make an awful steward for Free Software,
>even if he's capable enough as a lead for the Linux kernel.
>
>Just because I don't think he's fit for one specific job, don't infer
>that I think he's unfit for every job.
>

>------------------------------
>
>Message: 3
>Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:25:25 -0700
>From: Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com>
>Subject: Re: Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?
>To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
>Les Mikesell wrote:
> > But it is equally ridiculous either way, when 80+% is neither GNU nor
> > Linux code.  Calling it an xwindow system would make more sense.  Or
> > perhaps a firefox/thunderbird/openoffice.org system - with most of the
> > other parts interchangeable.
>
>If you're talking about a distribution, then I suppose it's fine.  When
>you refer to the *operating system*, though, that's a different story.
>GNU/Linux is an operating system.  It implements a defined operating
>system interface.  Linux, by itself, is not an operating system.
>

>------------------------------
>
>Message: 4
>Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:28:26 -0700
>From: Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com>
>Subject: Re: that old GNU/Linux argument
>To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
>Les Mikesell wrote:
> > I didn't mean the word GNU. Reflexive acronyms are easy but useless.
> > What was the working system before Linux?

> [...]

Maybe we should just refer to the whole GNU/Linux
thing with a new name, that includes neither
"GNU" or "Linux".  Call it Everyone's Operating
System (EOS) or something that is more creative
than what I can think of right now.  That way,
everyone can form a picture in their own mind of
what it means, be it the kernel, the interface,
the tools, the distribution, or whatever.  It
separates the "thing" that we all know and love,
from the politics of it.  That way everyone can be happy...or equally unhappy.

--
SCANNED for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner.