Installer and disk druid

Bruno Costacurta pubmb.bco at pt.lu
Wed Jul 16 15:52:51 UTC 2008

On Sunday 13 July 2008 18:37:08 Bruno Costacurta wrote:
> On Sunday 13 July 2008 16:14:36 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > Bruno Costacurta wrote:
> > > my PC has three disks.
> > > Two of them where previously configured as RAID1+LVM but this
> > > configuration was removed since : using fdisk I created other
> > > partitions and already installed other distros like Debian and Gentoo
> > > (via a single /boot partition shared by all distros via GRUB loader).
> > >
> > > -- my problem :
> > > I'm trying to install Fedora-9 on a specific partition but the Fedora
> > > installer (and disk druid) continues to see previous RAID1+LVM and not
> > > the specific disks !?!
> > >
> > > -- my questions :
> > > Where does Fedora grab its partition tables ?
> > > How to modify / correct partitions if fdisk is not enough for Fedora ?
> >
> > Why not use the "Custom layout" option?
> > That allows you to partition as you please, I think.
> >
> > Personally, I am not fond of Disk Druid, to put it mildly.
> > I always use Knoppix, or something like that,
> > to partition as I want, not as some wizard thinks is best for me.
> > Then I use Custom Layout when installing Fedora.
> >
> > Also, I used to be a fan of LVM, but it caused chaos
> > on a couple of occasions, so I have abandoned it.
> > I wonder if that has happened to many Fedora users?
>
> I tried the 'Custom layout' option but it did not work at all as it shows
> only the first disk (called /dev/sda) of my three disks.
> With default option, the installer also shows a previous Linux
> device-mapper (with RAID1+LVM based on /dev/sdb + /dev/sdc ) but this was
> removed since then via other distros and related installation.
>
> (Note: I removed the device-mapper using fdisk : is this correct ? Or is
> there another way to remove a Linux device-mapper ?)
>
> My problem is I cannot install Fedora on /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc because
> simply its installer cannot see them !?!
>
> Is there another way to install Fedora ? Meaning without default installer
> and related Druid ? (I agree with Timothy as I do not like Druid neither)
>
> Bye,
> Bruno

Finally, I was able to install Fedora-9 from a hard drive on which I
previously downloaded the .iso file after booting from another distro.
(more details on the Feodra doc about installation from hard drive)

What I cannot understand it's the same disk that Druid cannot detect via the
installer from CD/DVD (whatever option I choose like 'Custom layout') but
only show it as some device_mapper_RAID that cannot be read ...!?!

Bye,
Bruno