Current Respin for F9, or how to build updated F9 live dvd on an F7 system?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 17 04:08:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 22:11 -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:
> I have access to F7 systems where I can download the F9 install dvd.
> While doing that, I was wondering if it is possible to get a version
> of the dvd that includes the updated RPMS.  That search leads  to the
> Fedora Unity community (http://fedorasolved.org)  web site, where it
> appears there has not been a respin of F9 (only a spin of Everything
> as originally created).

Are you wanting a respin of 9, or making a respin of the live CD for 9?
The subject line and this paragraph seem to contradict each other.

> Pointers from messages in this list lead to a HOWTO on using the tools
> in the livecd-tools package to create a new Fedora dvd.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/LiveCDHowTo
>
> As far as I can tell, the approach there seems to require me to
> install F9, and then use the livecd-tools config file it provides to
> build a new DVD.

I would have thought you'd just download the original and new 9 files
into some place, and build from there.  If your "creation" command
refers to a filepath for your existing 7 installation, then it'd be
recreating that, instead.

> I see now the fastest thing to do is install F9, run yum update, and
> forget about making the updated F9 dvd.

In the past, when I've installed an OS and there were lots of updates
that'd be applied, post-install.  I preferred to make a really minimal
initial install, then update from there.  That seemed the least painful
method, to me.

I can see why any install always starts from the initial packages, then
updates, as that set of packages has been tested together (hopefully).
Whereas doing an install with a package list that gets the latest
version of each package, first go, wouldn't have been tested, and could
easily fall apart in a heap.  But it'd be nice if it *could* work that
way, without having to make a respin (if you picked such an option, and
wanted to do a network install).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686