major problem after enabling desktop effects (F9)...

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 17 11:22:13 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 22:36:00 Mike Chalmers wrote:
> OK, I can log into KDE now but everything is different. Thanks for
> getting me back into KDE. Could you tell me step by step how to get my
> settings back, is that possible? I don't understand what you mean by
> this:
>
> You can copy mail settings and anything else you need back from the saved
> folder.  You'll find things in ~/.kde.sav/share/apps and
> ~/.kde.sav/share/config.

OK.  Open dolphin and use the 'split window' icon.  (You do know, do you, that
~/ stands for your home directory?)

On one side navigate to ~/.kde/share/apps, then click on the other side and
navigate to ~/.kde.sav/share/apps.  From ~/.kde.sav/share/apps drag across
the folders kmail, kabc and korganizer (if you use addressbook and diary).
You will probably want one or two more, like kwallet and kwalletmanager.
Something that might help you is to change a setting in dolphin.  Go to View
> Additional Information and select 'Size'.  Each folder will then have the
information of how many items are in the folder.  If there is more than 0 you
probably want to drag it across.

Then change your navigation to ~/.kde/share/config and
~/.kde.sav/share/config.  Drag across everything that is more than a few
bytes long.

Come back if there's anything you don't understand.

Anne