SATA hotswap / hotplug

Christopher Mocock chris at wavestore.com
Thu Jul 17 12:37:54 UTC 2008

Hi list,

I'm trying to get SATA hot-swapping to work in Fedora 9 but I'm either
having no luck or doing it wrong.

I've tried a variety of disk controllers including an LSI MegaRaid,
3Ware 9550SX, and I'm now working with a Supermicro SAT2-MV8 (Marvell
chipset - sata_mv module).

I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that if I insert or
remove a disk, I should see something in /var/log/messages. I've also
been running "ls -l /dev/disk/by-path" to see if the device name appears
or disappears, but it never does.

Is there any kind of special setup required or should it "just work"?

The disks I'm using are either Seagate SATA2 or older Hitachi SATA1
drives, I have a few to play with. The disks are not formatted in any
way as my application treats them as raw block devices. Still, I would
expect to see the contents of /dev/disk/by-path to change when I insert
or remove a disk.

When using the 3Ware card, I did get a message from the 3Ware driver
saying that a disk had been removed or inserted, but it didn't change
the contents of /dev/disk/by-path and the message was from the driver,
not the kernel or udev or any other subsystem.

I should mention that the disks appear fine if they are inserted before
I boot on all the disk controllers I've tried.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Regards,

--
Chris