SATA hotswap / hotplug

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Thu Jul 17 15:30:20 UTC 2008

Christopher Mocock wrote, On 07/17/2008 08:37 AM:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm trying to get SATA hot-swapping to work in Fedora 9 but I'm either
> having no luck or doing it wrong.
>
> I've tried a variety of disk controllers including an
> LSI MegaRaid,

lsi does not show up on http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html so you have to
figure out what driver supports the card and ask about that driver.

> 3Ware 9550SX,
http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#tware
apparently you need to ask at the driver maker's site if they support it.

> and I'm now working with a Supermicro SAT2-MV8 (Marvell
> chipset - sata_mv module).

according to the 'Driver / feature matrix'
http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#matrix

driver=sata_mv
feature=Device Hotplug
feature state=no

> I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that if I insert or
> remove a disk, I should see something in /var/log/messages. I've also
> been running "ls -l /dev/disk/by-path" to see if the device name appears
> or disappears, but it never does.
>
> Is there any kind of special setup required or should it "just work"?
>
> The disks I'm using are either Seagate SATA2 or older Hitachi SATA1
> drives, I have a few to play with. The disks are not formatted in any
> way as my application treats them as raw block devices. Still, I would
> expect to see the contents of /dev/disk/by-path to change when I insert
> or remove a disk.
>
> When using the 3Ware card, I did get a message from the 3Ware driver
> saying that a disk had been removed or inserted, but it didn't change
> the contents of /dev/disk/by-path and the message was from the driver,
> not the kernel or udev or any other subsystem.
>
> I should mention that the disks appear fine if they are inserted before
> I boot on all the disk controllers I've tried.
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received.

There may be some user space tools you need too.

--
Todd Denniston