that old GNU/Linux argument

Izhar Firdaus kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 04:03:57 UTC 2008

hurm .. hurm ... i'm pretty sure i learn in Uni that:

Operating System => the software that do the memory management,
process management, queing, I/O, hware access ,

software that provide environment for human to interact with the OS =>
userland utilities.

and from what i see in GNU/Linux, Linux is the Operating System .. and
GNU is the Userland Utilities .. so, thats quite a clear distinction
there to me .. Windows, to me its looks more like a distribution
rather than an OS - as its a bundle of the kernel, and a bunch of
userland utils, a bunch of spying apps, the update manager , and lots
of other craps..

anyway, I still sometimes refer distros as GNU/Linux (in text) ..
simply because the text looks geekier .. verbally, i use Linux , its
easier to pronounce than gnooh-slash-linux..

p/s: I wonder if the time will come when the Wine people will start
fighting to call ReactOS as Wine/ReactOS ...

--
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Bin Ismail
Amano Hikaru