smbclient -N --no-pass broken

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Sat Jul 19 02:18:42 UTC 2008

So we disagree about mixing the -A (or -U) option(s) with the -N option
to smbclient, and the change in semantics W/R/T "no prompt" vs. "break
authentication" that happened between F7 and F9. I guess it's not a bug
and I'll have to get over it.

The 80/20 issue is actually 95/5...about 5% failures right now. What
appears to be happening is when the file system gets busy, and the
process table has thousands of entries, smbclient starts (occasionally)
prompting for the password, breaking the scripts. I assume this is due
to some read error happening with the credentials file.

I want to say this doesn't happen on F7, but I can't state that
positively any more, I found out today (to my dismay) some things
changed recently in our test data mix and I don't have a spare F7 system
to beat on until Tuesday.

Whether this 5% failure is the fault of our apps, the os, or smbclient
is unknown to me at this time. I'll take a closer look next Tuesday.

---
John