that old GNU/Linux argument

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jul 20 00:57:08 UTC 2008

On Saturday 19 July 2008, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>Carroll Grigsby wrote:
>> Back in the day when I was on dialup, I used
>> www.cheapbytes.com; their service was prompt and their quality was
>> excellent.
>
>So did I, so did we all.
>But that was a long time ago.
>Surely now everyone is on broadband
>with Terabyte disks that can hold 20 different OS's?
>
>Just to repeat my original comment.
>How can anyone write a 20-page document on Hurd
>without ever saying, "Download a working version from here"?
>
>Does anyone actually compile anything today?
>Apart from developers, of course.

Yes we users sure do Timothy:
[root at coyote /]# uptime
 20:40:56 up 5 days, 21:32, 25 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.07, 0.05
[root at coyote /]# uname -a
Linux coyote.coyote.den 2.6.26 #1 PREEMPT Sun Jul 13 22:50:19 EDT 2008 i686
athlon i386 GNU/Linux

I'm also trying to get OpenMovieEditor built and installed, but it appears the
OpenGL and GLX being shipped from mesa through fedora has been emasculated.
According to the config.log of the failed configure of dmerlin, a dependency
OpenMovieEditor needs, at least 6 functions it expected to find have been
expunged from the libraries and headers.

I'd be very interested in hearing the reasons behind its being stripped like
that.

Its also interesting that I'm now posted 2 queries about it to this list, both
so far have been greeted by total silence.  Its as if its not a fedora problem
if its not generated by a fedora blessed rpm.

The NIH syndrome in full bloom.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)