Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jul 20 04:00:02 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 22:44 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> inode0 wrote:
> >
> > Would the world be a better place with no GPL and all software created
> > by those who now create code under the GPL putting it into the public
> > domain instead?
>
> Microsoft would almost certainly have been displaced years ago by many
> other companies building better products containing this code - or at
> least have been forced to build much better products to stay
> competitive.  That alone would have made the world a better place.
----
I doubt that it would have made the world a better place any more than
Coca-Cola does (and I'm a loyal Coke drinker).

The fact is, it is not now, nor has it ever been a stated goal to
'displace' Microsoft...at least not by the major Linux players. You've
confused your own aspirations with those of various contributors to that
which is known as Linux.

Craig