F9: List of packages that has missing geko-libs v1.9

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 15:27:43 UTC 2008

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 07:35:27 -0700, Paolo Galtieri wrote:

> I've run been running Fedora since FC5 and I have never seen an
> update problem like this before.

Congratulations! ;o) This incident is just one of many. It has happened
before several times, with Firefox and with other packages. Firefox
affects almost everyone, though.

Interestingly, for Fedora 8 there was an attempt at rebuilding all
dependencies and publishing them at once, as a single update (see
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/search/firefox ), and that has
been done before. For F8, only one pkg slipped through (evolution-rss).
For F9, only a few packages were rebuilt actually (as can be seen at above
url, too).

It's a workflow problem, a communication problem, a resource problem, and
a policy problem.

The firefox maintainer can't be blamed if other packages cause trouble
because they create a strict dependency on a specific firefox
version. Semi-automated rebuilds of dependencies might help, if the spec
files were specially crafted to not require any manual editing at all (and
in the case of a dependency on firefox would pick up the new firefox
version automatically). Currently, however, a new package is not available
in the builtroots unless it's pushed to the stable repo or release
engineers add it on demand).