Logwatch?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Jul 20 23:20:23 UTC 2008

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 15:38:58 -0700
Knute Johnson <linux at www.knutejohnson.com> wrote:

> I don't really know what the log message means.  Why would it specify
> line 2305 but then show another address in the log message?  Any
> enlightenment would be appreciated.

I had a lot of trouble with the hosts.allow/deny stuff when there
were multiple names for the same IP. It apparently picks one at random
in a reverse lookup of the name, and if it doesn't match the name
you gave in the file, it complains. I resorted to using IP addresses
(which means I have to change when the IP changes - sort of a pain,
but it reduces the log clutter :-).