Minor GNOME and KDE menu annoyance

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Jul 21 12:30:44 UTC 2008

Rex Dieter wrote:

> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
>> But I still find the menu arrangement rather puzzling.
>> Why do I find Paired Bluetooth Devices under Lost and Found?
>> Why is Terminal under System, while Display is under Administration?
>
> It's no mystery, and definitely not rocket-science.
>
> Apps' .desktop files include app "Categories", and the menu system
> displays them accordingly.  Lost and Found is where apps go that don't
> adhere to the menu-spec (ie, it's a bug).
>
> See also:
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/

I realize the category is specified in the .desktop file.

I looked at the document above, and didn't find it really answered my query.
In any case, Fedora does not seem to follow the categories suggested there.

In my view, the categories listed in the main Fedora menu
are not well-chosen.
In my main menu I have (among others) Administration, Utilities, Settings,
System and Development.
Maybe I am missing some kind of mental discrimination,
but I have no idea which of these categories a given application
will fall into.
By contrast, I very rarely have this problem
with the Windows XP Control Center,
which seems to me much better thought out.

I do agree, though, that the search facility in the Fedora 9 KDE menu
is a very good innovation.