What is the point of the NM keyring?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Jul 21 12:47:13 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:

> I'm not sure why you'd object to it.  Do you also refuse to let programs
> store passwords?  Do you type in your ISP access password each time you
> connect to the internet?  Do you type in your POP/IMAP password each
> time you read your email?  Do you type in your IM passwords each time
> you start up pidgin/aim/skype/whatever...?

OK, you have convinced me.
I will never say a rude word about KDE wallet again.

But I still find NM's request for a password very annoying.
WiFi is my link to the Real World, and I just want it to start up
when I log in.

Actually I have Fedora set up to log me in automatically without password.
I do not suffer from the paranoia that seems endemic among IT gurus.
In my view the probability of any of my neighbours listening in
is negligible, and I have much more important things to worry about,
like my cholesterol level and global warming.