Where is Kdict?

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 21 17:21:22 UTC 2008

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
<snip>
> Well, to be precise: if *kdict does not match anything in the current
> directory, then the Shell will pass *kdict as the argument to yum, which
> is exactly what happens when you use \*kdict. OTOH if *kdict does match
> something, then that's what gets passed as one or more arguments to yum.
> That's rarely what you want.

have a look at my 'captures'. only diff i can see is that 1st has '\',
2nd does not. all of rest looks same to me.

[geo at argosyiayia Desktop]$ ll kdi*
-rw-rw-r-- 1 geo geo 1675 Jul 21 17:12 kdisc1
-rw-rw-r-- 1 geo geo 1674 Jul 21 17:06 kdisc2
[geo at argosyiayia Desktop]$ diff kdisc1 kdisc2
1c1
< [root at argosyiayia geo-sl]# yum whatprovides \*kdict
---
 > [root at argosyiayia geo-sl]# yum whatprovides *kdict
[geo at argosyiayia Desktop]$

and 'diff' concurs.

--

tc,hago.