KVM Hypervisor

Chris Snook csnook at redhat.com
Mon Jul 21 17:26:08 UTC 2008

Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 08:15 -0400, Alex Katebi wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>>   I can not find laptop or desktop hardware that supports KVM
>> Virtualization (Intel-VT or AMD-V).
>> I like Dell laptops but there is no information regarding hardware
>> assisted virtualization (Hypervisor).
>> Can I get some recommendation?
>
> Actually this isn't as hard as it sounds if you're looking to buy a
> *new* laptop. Pretty much anything out there today supports Intel VT /
> AMD-V now. The main thing you'll need to make sure of is that you have
> enabled this in the BIOS. There are quite a few systems that still ship
> with this feature disabled for some reason.

Actually, Intel only enables it on the high-end Core2 chips, so you need to get
a chip that's at least somewhat high-end, or at least that was high-end when
first introduced on the market.  Dell clearly identifies these with 'VT' in the
processor description.  You do *not* need V-pro support.  That's just for a
BIOS-based hypervisor that Intel offers for management, mostly for corporate
desktops.

AMD isn't so cryptic about it.  Any current-generation Athlon64 X2 will have
hardware virtualization support, as far as I'm aware.