that old GNU/Linux argument

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Jul 21 19:49:15 UTC 2008

Antonio Olivares wrote:

> Like I have said before, it should not matter but there are many people that do take offense, if you say Linux only, they want to exert their muscle and say GNU/Linux is the appropriate name.  There are no correct answers here :)

It's really sad, you know?  A.  The fact that we've argued this ad
nauseam for what a week now?  And B. That people really get their
panties in a wad over adding THREE letters to a NAME.  It's a NAME
people.  If I want to build my own distro and call it 'CRAP' there will
be some moron who comes by and says 'That's offensive, it should be
GNU/CRAP instead.'

Why?

Seriously?  Because Stallman, et al. say so?  Because I'm not giving
enough credit to the GNU Project?  Does anyone in here remember 'sticks
and stones'?  The rhyme still stands.  It's just a name.  You hardcore
whiners get a grip.

Besides, GNU isn't a proper acronym anyway.  You can't use the acronym
as the first word in the name the acronym describes.  Isn't that some
sort of English infinite loop?

(really, will someone kill this thread?)

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support