that old GNU/Linux argument

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 20:17:54 UTC 2008

Björn Persson wrote:

> You're still talking as if your opponents want to name entire
> distributions "GNU/Linux". I'm not so sure that there really is anyone who
> wants to name entire distributions "GNU/Linux". Are you sure that there are
> people who want to do this? Do you have any evidence?

I don't have much occasion to talk about a subset that is more than a
kernel and less than a distribution with real applications so I'm not
sure where or why such a name would be used.  I asked about that before
but didn't get any compelling answers.  While I understand roughly the
scope of what GNU/Linux would encompass, there's really no such specific
distribution that I know of, and there wouldn't be much reason to use it
on its own unless you just like to live in emacs.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com