that old GNU/Linux argument

Björn Persson listor3.rombobeorn at tdcpost.se
Mon Jul 21 21:53:44 UTC 2008

Mark Haney wrote:
> But this name change business is silly.  I mean why stop there?  Let's
> change grep to gnu/grep!  Or bash to GNU/bash.  I could go on and on here.

Heh!

$ grep --version
grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1

Copyright 1988, 1992-1999, 2000, 2001 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

$ bash --version
GNU bash, version 3.2.33(1)-release (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu)

No, it's not "GNU and Grep" or "GNU and Bash" but it is GNU Grep and GNU Bash,
just the same as it is Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat.

Björn Persson