Compiling -- gcc -- Lex & Yacc

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Jul 23 00:16:57 UTC 2008

William Case <billlinux <at> rogers.com> writes:
> You and Kevin have corrected some of the terminology and mis-perceptions
> about what process is doing what.  I thank you for that.  But it still
> begs the question.  How do you know that?

I've learned a lot of things from the GCC mailing list archive. But be warned,
it's very high-volume (though not comparable to the infamous Linux Kernel
Mailing List (LKML) in volume), so don't expect to be able to read all the
threads ever posted there. If you can read the essentials a few months back and
then track it without accumulating a backlog, you're already good. :-) And
understanding what's said there can also be hard at times, because of course
the GCC developers usually talk to each other in compiler writer slang or in
jargon related to GCC's internals. That's also something you get used to only
over time.

        Kevin Kofler