NetworkManager sabotages DNS? on fc9

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Wed Jul 23 16:53:19 UTC 2008

Dave Burns wrote:
> I just installed fc9 on a Dell precision T5400 from the live CD. On
> previous fc9 installs, I've had a problem that networking doesn't
> start at boot if I didn't open up the network panel and check
> "controlled by networkmanager". On this new install, when I have that
> box checked, DNS does not work (nslookup times out). If I uncheck that
> box and disable/enable eth0, DNS starts working. DNS is being served
> to this machine from another machine.
>
> Does NetworkManager get DNS info from DHCP or somewhere else? How
> could this behavior make sense? Does NetworkManager assume dynamic
> addressing? I am trying to make it static, could that be the problem?
>
> I guess I will experiment with just turning NetworkManager off, since
> this is a desktop unit not a laptop, has no wireless.

It seems that NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.9.4.svn3675.fc9.i386.rpm has a new
problem.

This is what happens at home, and is perfectly correct.  My router is
also a caching name server, so that is appropriate.

---
# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

search localdomain

nameserver 192.168.1.1
---

Here is what I get from DHCP at work.  This is NEW behaviour.

---
# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

domain mycorp.com

search localdomain

nameserver 10.1.6.29
nameserver 10.2.10.6
nameserver 192.168.1.1
---

See the problems?

The 'search' line is now broken.  The DHCP response includes valid
domain, search, and nameserver records.  NetworkManager now mangles them
to give a composite of what it had, with what it received.

The DHCP return packet did NOT contain the 'nameserver 192.168.1.1' entry.

So now every morning when I plug in at work, I have to edit the search
line.  Annoying!