How can mplayer play rmvb video file

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Wed Jul 23 16:55:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:23:14 -0700
Barry <barryyu-cts at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Downloaded and extracted "all-20071007.tar.bz2" to /usr/lib/codec;

That's just a start :-). I once spent a while doing google searches
for mplayer codecs, and downloading every collection I could find,
as well as doing things like getting the linux realplayer download
and extracting the .so files from it, then building a composite
/usr/lib/codecs directory with everything added in (and an attempt
to deduce the "newest" version when there were dups).

I have no idea which codec did it, but I have been able to play at
least some real video files since then. (I also note that the
/usr/lib/codecs stuff only really works for 32 bit mplayer).