How do I figure hardware compatibility when the vendor lists only RedHat?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Jul 23 19:16:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:06:42 -0700
Rob Tanner <rtanner at linfield.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at several different vendors for hardware RAID.  The box I

If your box is PCIE rather than legacy PCI based I wouldn't bother with
hardware raid except for very high end systems.

> intend the RAID for will be built with Fedora Core 8.  The problem is
> that the vendors don't list Fedora Core at all under Linux systems.
> What versions of RedHat should I look for in the vendor's compatibility
> lists to know whether the card is compatible with Fedora Core 8.

If you mean RHEL then the RHEL code even in RHEL5 is sufficiently
different from FC8 to make any such list pretty much irrelevant.

For most cases RAID on a pair of SATA drives on the built in controller
will beat hardware RAID cards - which is why there are almost none
produced nowdays.