How do I set up networked printers in F9 ?

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 18:31:42 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 11:08 AM, linuxguy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> We are networking our printers so that everyone in the house can use
> them.
>
> We have an HP all in one USB device that we connected to the network via
> a Linksys ASUS print server.   We also just got a Dell 1720DN networked
> printer.
>
> Both devices work via USB on both my F9 machine and a Windows machine.
>
> The Dell is connected directly to the network.   If I
> http://192.168.1.110, the printer configuration page comes up.
>
> The HP is connected to the print server, which is connected to the
> network. If I http://192.168.107 , I get the print server setup page.
>
> I'd like to get the Dell 1720DN running first.
>
> Here is what I am doing.   I start system-config-printer.   I select New
> Printer.  The New Printer window appears.  Now it wants me to select a
> connection.
>
> My options are AppSocket/HP JetDirect, Internet Printing Protocol,
> LPD/LPR Host or Printer or Other.
>
> What connection should I use for the 1720DN and where do I go from
> there ?

Just use AppSocket/HP JetDirect. Enter the IP or hostname in the
hostname field and leave the port number 9100 alone. In the
next step select the printer from the database or provide your own
PPD if you have it.

> Dell ships a linux app for installing the 1720 on the CDROM, but I
> thought I would be able to set the 1720 to PS emulation and connect to
> it the way I connect to a CUPS server.  Am I wrong ?
>
> Thanks

The drivers in those CDROMs are usually older.
CUPS normally does a good job.
Here are some resources:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/admin-primer/ch-printers.html
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO/index.html