Adding Drivers to the Live CD.

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Thu Jul 24 20:41:23 UTC 2008

Nathan Woodruff wrote, On 07/24/2008 03:07 PM:
> I've worked with Alan all afternoon long and I have used linux s to get to a
> prompt. But now I am having issues copying the data off now that I can see
> the actual data.
>
> I have nowhere to copy it to as in I can get into the box but I can't copy
> the data to another device because there is no other device that this kernel
> sees.
>
> Nathan

Including the Ethernet adapter's? That is, could you NFS mount some other
server/workstation's disk and copy to there?

BTW how old a Fedora is this?
Are you now booted into the on system kernel or on the Live CD?
I have seen situations, with rescue disks as new as FC4, where to see a USB
stick/hard drive in rescue mode, the device had to be plugged in before booting.

If the kernel truly can't see other devices, you may have to find another box
you can put the board and drives into long enough to salvage data, and then
get a new server with an UPS that talks to apcupsd[1] or powerd[2]. I go for
apcupsd because I have used it for several years and know it to be reliable on
the local machine. After seeing g's comment about powerd I went to look,
because it would be nice to be able to use something other than APC every now
and then, and it looks like the project has been VERY stagnant for ~4 years.

[1] http://www.apcupsd.org/
[2] http://power.sourceforge.net/index.php
    http://freshmeat.net/projects/powerd/

--