F9 - cups - windows shared printer

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 24 22:52:34 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:
<snip>

  On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 21:21 +0000, g wrote:
>> Craig White wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> I hope that you won't mind that I will continue to ignore your
>>> suggestions thinking that they are not useful and even if they worked,
>>> that isn't the intended behavior and thus no solution at all.
>> not at all. what ever churns your butter.
>>
>> if such an easy change is too much for you, then do not. after all it
>> is your system to fight with.
>>
>> as for me, i did spend a couple minutes to make change, as i found thru
>> google, and it did work. granted, it may something different in your
>> system.
>>
>> i do know/recall that i did have to add myself to 'lp' group, under
>> mandrake 9 and 10, when i could not print as a 'user', but could as
>> 'root'.
> ----

> I would rather remove the line once in a while than start mucking with
> system groups but more to the point and the one you seem to be missing
> is that the bandaid approach you suggest helps no one else. I'm far more
> interested in a real solution to the problem because others are sure to
> experience this issue.

i am in full understanding of your reasoning and desire to find *where*
failure is coming from.

with no more response than you have of one other poster so far, would
this not tend to show that it would be something you 2 have in common
in configuring your system? granted, it is something that should not
happen. but it is.

therefore i would think that you and andy need to see what you have in
common in setups, permissions, and paths, etc.

also, a request for others who are using cups, if they would check
cupsd.conf and printers.conf files to see if authentication line
is present.

then, if you have a large response of line present, you have narrowed
you search to other than just cups.

just a suggestion. use it or not.

--

tc,hago.