F9 - cups - windows shared printer

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Jul 25 15:15:59 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 19:01 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>> It's no different than adding myself to lp group. While that might
>> allow me to print, it doesn't really solve the problem and I can get
>> it to print anyway.
>
> It does raise the point that some definition of what some system groups
> are meant to be for.  When you see groups like lp or disk are you
> supposed to add yourself to them for special privileges, or are they
> just for the system software to use for itself.

I always thought they were there to let you customize access for
users, as well as for system software. There are other ways to
control user access now, but they were the original way to do it.

With the "helper" programs we have today, there is less need for
adding users to the system groups.

Mikkel