F9 - cups - windows shared printer

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jul 25 18:23:57 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 18:14 +0000, g wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> <snip>
> > The group of the user and firefox is irrelevant.
>
> anyway, i added '<gbwg>' only because i had added 'firefox'.
>
> maybe in case of 'lp' at this time. yet back when i set up cups in
> mandrake 8 and 9, it was necessary. it was also necessary that i was
> in 'sane' and 'xsane' group.
>
> for sure, there are other groups that do require a user to be added
> to various groups.
>
> another 2 points that make whole thing interesting is that so far,
> craig has found problem only with firefox and problem only seems to
> be related to cups that is set up to share with ms windows.
>
> second, that this problem has not shown up with any other distribs.
----
leap to conclusions do we?

1 - it's not only with Firefox...problem originally surfaced printing
e-mail from evolution. It appears that if a program initially queries
for a need to authenticate, that's when the problem occurs.

2 - why on earth would you think that this problem doesn't show up on
other distributions...I think quite the contrary, as this problem seemed
to be originally reported in Debian.

3 - as a network system administrator, ugly hack solutions like adding a
user to a local group is a very lame solution when users are on LDAP and
not local and there are limitations on group memberships, etc. This
shouldn't be needed for a basic setup and a local user and I am looking
at the bigger picture.

as for the user/group of firefox, yes it was irrelevant and was one of
the obscure attempts at being funny which not surprisingly Aaron missed
- as I said earlier in the thread, geleem seems to make comments that
are too obtuse for many readers on this list.

Craig