DNS Attacks

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Jul 26 13:00:31 UTC 2008

Björn Persson wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> You aren't paranoid enough.  What if the spoofer is also a system
>> administrator at the bank with access to a copy of the real certificate
>> that he installs on the machine he's tricked your dns into reaching -
>> with the expected name that you'll still see.
>
> Then the bank has failed to protect its secret key. I expect banks to have
> rigorous security routines to control who can access sensitive systems, and
> to be able to check afterwards who did what.
>
> Could you elaborate on how whois guards against malicious system
> administrators? Do you think security could be improved by having browsers
> and other programs make whois queries automatically?
>
> Björn Persson

Also, if it is the a system administrator at the bank, what is to
prevent him from just changing the real name servers? Or putting in
a program on the bank's web server to capture the username and
password when you enter them? Lets face it, if a bank employee wants
to embezzle money from the bank, there is not much we as costumers
can do about it.

Mikkel