that old GNU/Linux argument

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 16:19:09 UTC 2008

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

>>> I mean "except for the Hurd", "save for the Hurd", or however you'd
>>> like to phrase the act of taking a set with hundreds of elements, and
>>> applying the same predicate to all but one of them.
>
>> I don't mean the semantics, I mean philosophically.  Why would you
>> except the one thing that deserves to be called GNU from this
>> discussion?
>
> Err...  I don't know how you got this idea that GNU was supposed to be
> just a kernel.  GNU is an entire operating system, that Linux
> developers happened to borrow to complete theirs, because all they had
> was a kernel.

And meanwhile the GNU project still has its own.  People who think the
GNU name is attractive can use that one. People who are more attracted
to the popularity of Linux shouldn't have to be confused by the name
associated with some other project.

> If someone not interested in the kernel Hurd shouldn't be interested
> in GNU or any of the GNU/Hurd distros out there, then someone not
> interested in the kernel Linux shouldn't be interested in GNU+Linux or
> any of the GNU/Linux distros out there.
>
>> And yet, there is still something that _IS_ the GNU project's OS, that
>> people can use if they want to use something named GNU.  But,
>> overwhelming they pick some other project instead.
>
> Some other project that is nearly as much GNU, indeed.

I'd prefer that the Linux based distros had shared more of the
BSD-origin work rather than the GPL-encumbered GNU copies.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com