Laptop tracking software

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Jul 26 22:34:48 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 16:39:53 -0400,
  techlist at pathfinder.phys.utk.edu wrote:
> Hello,
> I am wondering if there is laptop tracking software included with Fedora. I am
> currently using Fedora 8. If there is no such thing in the distro, what would
> anyone recommend for a third-party F/OSS  software?
> What I meant is a software that can track the laptop whereabouts, which would
> be useful in the case that it gets stolen, etc. So there should be a way to
> retrieve the information from a different computer.
>
> Thanks for any help.
> RDB

You aren't likely to get your laptop back using tracking software. Knowing
what IP address it was using doesn't get you a name, address or permission
to break and enter in order to retrieve it. Unless you think you will
have especially cooperative police by you, you aren't going to benefit
much from free software that does this. (A commercial outfit might be
able to leverage police help more easily.)

It might be more effective, cheaper and safer (the tracking software will be
tracking you and that might get used against you at some point) to just insure
it.