that old GNU/Linux argument

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Mon Jul 28 02:21:55 UTC 2008

On Jul 26, 2008, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at panet.co.yu> wrote:

> Sure, RMS and GNU did begin to create an operating system, but failed to
> finish it

before Linus took the "unfinished" OS and finished it himself.  IOW,
Linus completed GNU?

> And now they ask for credit? For what? For cloning&enhancing Unix OS
> infrastructure and GPL-ing it? (ok, I am being a bit over the line
> here, I know, sorry... ;-) )

Yeah, shared with credit for the kernel that cloned&enhanced Unix
kernel infrastructure and GPL-ed it, forming a complete Unix operating
system that amounted to that kernel plus GNU minus its own kernel.
Anything wrong with that?