Older machine, Install-DVD doesnt boot

garys at email.com garys at email.com
Mon Jul 28 03:30:20 UTC 2008

Here's my problem:

I've got an older pc (Asus Cusi-M)
with Celeron(1100MHz),
500MB RAM.
As I tried to boot the installation-dvd (which works with nearly every
other distribution, e.g.ubuntu does and is installed) it hanging
directly after starting isolinux. it shows me a boot> prompt and wants
to know the kernels name. It also says for normal installation, I only
need to hit return to boot, but nothing happens. not frozen but always
asking-a-new about the kernel stuff.

So here is my question:

Which are the correct kernel parameters to pass to the live-kernel from
dvd?
I tried:

vmlinuz0 root=/dev/ram0

but thats not enough info I guess... It reacts with a
kernel-panic-message, no root was found (or sth.like.that) and displays
16 ram-adresses in a table (/ram0 to /ram15).

Does anyone know, what to do?

I can add, that my mainboard has always problems with booting bigger
devices. For a linux-installation (of every kind) I need to install an a
seperate boot-partition (not more than 8000MiB harddisk is allowed by
bios). and root on another partition. So I think there's nothing I can
do about this bios-outdate-problem. But if I can pass the right
boot-parameters to the live-kernel, I believe it should work...

 While it's highly unlikely to solve your problem - the first thing to do is to
verify the integrity of your install CD (or DVD). There is an option to check your
CD at the begining of the install process.........gary

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses
Get a Free Account at www.mail.com