difference between FEDORA and RHEL 5

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at pathfinder.phys.utk.edu
Mon Jul 28 13:28:34 UTC 2008

On Monday 28 July 2008 8:15:00 am ksh shrm wrote:
> I have RHEL 5 DVD disk and I have another option of downloading FEDORA.
>
> Since I can customize RHEL, can I install RHEL on my desktop with
> customization.
> or Should I download FEDORA and then install.

The short summary:
Fedora is aimed more toward progress and latest technology in linux, sometime
more bleeding edge stuff. It's also a test bed for stuff that may go into
RHEL. Version released is often. It's free.
RHEL is aimed more toward stability and long term supports, so it may not have
the latest and greatest stuff. RHEL is not free, you have to buy the support.

So it depends on what you want, newer features (Fedora) or stability (RHEL).
RDB