Export and Import Printer configuration

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jul 28 13:56:32 UTC 2008

TL:
>> Okay, right now I don't see any printer on my laptop which is on the same LAN
>> with the printer server. The printer server runs RHEL 4, and it's set to
>> share its printer and allow anyone to use it. No firewall between these
>> machine inside the LAN. Could it be because the print server runs older
>> CUPS ?

Tim:
> I wouldn't expect that to be a problem.  I've put printers on Fedora
> Core 4, and CentOS 4 & 5 servers (which are virtually the same as
> RHEL), and the Fedora (7 to 9) clients all found those printers
> automatically.

Supplemental:  After finding a Fedora 9 PC that didn't find the printer
server, I had a bit of a poke around, comparing it with another that
did.  On the one that worked, I missed seeing something I'd previously
set on the firewall - I'd "trusted" the ethernet interface, so it'd
allow communication with the rest of the LAN.  And on the one that
wasn't working, it started working when I allowed IPP through it's
firewall.

The point:  Carefully check the firewalling on both the clients and the
servers.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686