Do I need all of the 6 Fedora-Install-CD's?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Jul 29 01:00:32 UTC 2008

chris wrote:
> Hi,
> torrent is running in circles after fedora, and I wonder: do I really
> need to burn 6 CD's? I mean clearly Nr.1 is the bootable one, but how is
> the package organised? In alphabetical order like avlib is on disk#1 and
> zlib on disk#6? Or are the important packages on disk#1 and the other
> disks are for users without net-access?!?
> Well, if I get my internet running, I can download all the packages I
> need...
>
> So, thank your for helping along through the linux jungle :-)
>
> Wishing a nice evening (its 02:06 am in Germany...)
> Chris

What I have done in the past is have the DVD .iso image on a
partition that I am not going to format during the install, and then
boot with a CD made with the boot.iso image, or the bootdisk.img on
a USB memory drive. (I have a large partition for data I want to
keep, and server out using Samba.)

Now, for other machines, I boot the same way, but I have the .iso
image server out from my desktop, so I tell the installer to get the
files from there.

Mikkel