Patch bind to pluig Kaminsky DNS vulnerability for FC7?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Tue Jul 29 16:18:14 UTC 2008

Mike C wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is an easy way to fix bind (bind-chroot)
> running in an old machine running FC7 so that it offers the same
> protection as
> bind-chroot-9.5.0-28.P1.fc8
> and
> bind-9.5.0-33.P1.fc9.i386
> ??
>
> Can one use the src rpm for F8 and re-configure it for FC7?

Sure, you should be able to rebuild the F-8 bind srpm or update bind
on F-7 to 9.4.2-P1.

Then you'll get to do it again soon for any other packages that have
security problems.  IMO, your time would be better spent updating
those boxes to a supported release of Fedora (or RHEL or CentOS) --
unless you're already quite good at building packages and backporting
patches.

> I guess there are still quite a lot of servers in use that are
> running EOLed Fedoras.

That means a lot of admins get to see how much work is really involved
in keeping software up to date (or learn the joys of having their
boxes rooted).

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
    -- Publius Cornelius Tacitus, Roman historian, AD 56 - c. 120