Patch bind to pluig Kaminsky DNS vulnerability for FC7?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 17:13:05 UTC 2008

Mike C wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is an easy way to fix bind (bind-chroot) running
> in an old machine running FC7 so that it offers the same protection as
> bind-chroot-9.5.0-28.P1.fc8
> and
> bind-9.5.0-33.P1.fc9.i386
> ??
>
> Can one use the src rpm for F8 and re-configure it for FC7?
>
> I guess there are still quite a lot of servers in use that are running
> EOLed Fedoras.

While you could probably patch every hole yourself with source builds or
rebuilding src rpms from newer fedora versions, you would be better off
not using Fedora if you can't or don't want to keep up with the upgrade
cycle, and fortunately there are distributions designed for that
situation.  RHEL5 would be very similar if you want a version with paid
support or CentOS5 if you don't.  Either will have several more years of
continuing update support.  They aren't even such a bad choice for
desktop use now that the updates have brought OpenOffice and Firefox up
to near-current releases (an unusual move - most updates are just
backported bug/security fixes).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com