OT: What is fusebulk filesystem? ntpass fails to reset windows password :(

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 29 18:50:30 UTC 2008

--- On Tue, 7/29/08, TNWestTex <mcforum at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> From: TNWestTex <mcforum at bellsouth.net>
> Subject: Re: OT: What is fusebulk filesystem? ntpass fails to reset windows password :(
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Date: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 10:54 AM
> Antonio Olivares wrote:
> >
> > Dear all,
> > A Lenovo Laptop running Windows Vista locked out
> the teacher who was
> > issued the computer at school.  The teacher forgot
> the password.  I have
> > successfully used the SystemRescue
> CD http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
> >  with the utitlity ntpass many times.  This time, it
> failed.  I also tried
> > the cd from
> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ which is the
> same.
> > The laptop locked the teacher out and he could not
> login.  I told them it
> > was a snap and boy was I wrong.  The cd locates the
> users and apparently
> > all looks good and when we reboot we try with a blank
> password and we
> > cannot log on.  Trying other livecd's also gets
> us nowhere.  There
> > apparently is some garbage on the
> C:\Windows\system\system32 directory
> > that prevents the ntpasswd from doing its job.  When
> viewing the
> > filesystem which should be NTFS, the programs
> accessing the drive report
> > that the fs is fusebulk.  I have not heard about
> fusebulk filesystem.
> > There has to be some sort of encryption on the drive
> to prevent the
> > password blank from working.
> > Does anyone have any other tools that can reset the
> password in such a
> > case?
> > Is the only solution to reformat and reinstall?
> >

> NTFS from VISTA has changes that have not been caught up to
> by the non M$
> utilities.  The school doesn't have a system
> administrator that has the
> master password?
> --

Thank you for your concerns and also to another user that explained the fuse filesystem.

The computer has been reformatted and the software reinstalled.  It somehow is protected* (when you try to blank or change the password, it locks you out), this is the kind of sh*t that we do not like.  But we popped in a restore cd that came with the laptop and started it from scratch.  If we mess around with any livecd with password changer/reseters, the computer will not boot even with the correct password that was issued.  This is weird and is the second computer of many that I was not able to blank the password so as to gain back control.

Also happened in another case a Dell machine running XP and the teacher let a student use the computer to do a research paper, the student changed the password and locked everyone out of it. I tried to use the SystemRescueCD, trinity Rescue CD, and I could not finish the job.  Several modules could not be loaded and the machine would return a kernel panic.  Another friend of mine had a Windows LiveCD built with BartPE and he got in and changed the password back :)  This allowed the teacher to get back the control of the computer.

Thank you all for your help!

Regards,

Antonio