Can I get a word in edgewise here, puhlease?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jul 29 19:35:41 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 29 July 2008, Roger Heflin wrote:

>>> No...  Don't actually use xine for this purpose.
>>
>> What do you use? xine works, but it sure is kludgy to change channels. A
>> minute or more with lots of false starts, specially for the hi-def
>> subchannel.
>>
>> Thanks Ed, now if we could get this list back to its stated purpose.
>
>Gene,
>
>I use mythtv for all of that stuff, both recording and watching TV.

yes, but setting up a mythtv system needs real time access to a mythtv guru,
and a couple of days to build everything.  The guru I have, but he has
limited time too.

>If you are watching 1080i or 720p it does require a reasonable CPU and video
>card to do it.   And mythtv can be run in a window, but the default config
> is full screen.

One proggy I watched last night claimed to be 1920x1050 or some such figure.
And it did miss-fire occasionally since its a good 70 air miles to the
transmitter and WV's topology is vertical.  Its been said from more than one
podium that if WV was stomped out flat, it would be the biggest state in the
union.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)