Can NTFS r/w support be built into the initrd?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 19:56:13 UTC 2008

I'm trying to get to some files on an NTFS partition at boot time and
tried searching all over google with very limited success. It seems
the ntfs.ko module does not support read/write well and the ntfs-3g
module uses fuse.

Is it possible to get fuse built into my initrd with ntfs support?

Also, I consider myself an advanced linux user but not quite an
expert, so I'm not really sure how best to modify the initrd. Are
there any helper tools or am I stuck doing the gz/cpio, changing
files, cpio/gz it back up method?

Thanks,
Richard